Monday, July 21, 2008

Post-Vacation Slump

We returned from vacation over a week ago, but I've been too overwhelmed to take the time to write in my blog. As soon as we got home, I felt completely inundated with more work than I could even bear to think about...over 300 e-mails, writing projects that needed to be completed, pages and pages of to-do lists, a filthy house filled with vacation clutter, not to mention mountains of laundry. To top it all off, I had less than a week to pull things together, do all that laundry, unpack and re-pack my two boys, and drive them to Connecticut for their week on their grandparent's sailboat.

As you might suspect, I felt crummy, too (stress anyone?). I also had the post-vacation blues. We had a wonderful three weeks, and I could have easily stayed on the road, exploring new places and having fun. On vacation, my life has this pleasant narrow scope where the only things I have to think about are what we'll do that day and what we'll eat. Living in our pop-up camper is great - I can clean up the whole place in minutes! No phone calls, no e-mails, no work deadlines, no "have to do's."

But, vacation can't last forever, and I have now readjusted to REAL life. I drove the boys to CT last Thursday and returned on Friday to an amazingly clean (our cleaners had been here!) and QUIET house. My husband and I enjoyed a weekend that was both relaxing and productive, eating foods that our kids hate, spending time with friends, and even doing a little home improvement work that never gets done with kids around.

Even more thrilling, I now have three whole days entirely to myself, since my husband left on a business trip today. Three days to take care of no one but myself in a clean, quiet house - ah! Of course, I love my sons and my husband, but this little break is just what I need to catch up and recuperate.

If you'd like a peek at all of the places we went on our trip and all the fun things we did, take a look at our vacation blog (to read the entries in order, scroll down to the bottom and read from bottom to top). We really did have a great time, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good my stamina was. We went hiking, climbing on rocks, horseback riding, and lots of other activities, and I never once had an exertion-triggered crash, not even for a few hours! Jamie didn't fare so well; it was as if he and I had switched places this year in terms of physical stamina. He has a doctor's appointment next week when he returns - I'll let you know how things go.

I'm also planning an update this week of how I'm doing medically. Nothing has changed much from my last update, but people e-mail me all the time to ask, so look for an update soon.


P.S. to Ashley from Philadelphia...
I've tried to reply to your e-mail about doctors, but I keep getting error messages when I try to send my reply. Please e-mail me again, and I'll try again.

No comments: