Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Goodbye 2008, Hello 2009

I know it's a little late for New Year stuff, but I got a slow start this year. So, this week, I finally had time to sit down for my annual review of last year and look forward to a new year. I don't set resolutions, but I do like sitting down at this time of year to write a couple of pages about the year just past and set goals for the new year. I've been doing this for about 10 years, and it helps me to put things in perspective and to set priorities.

All in all, despite spending the past 5 months battling Lyme disease, 2008 was mostly a good year for me. During the first 7 months of the year, I felt better than I had in the past 7 years, since first getting sick with CFIDS, thanks to anti-viral treatment and low-dose naltrexone. Best of all, I was able to be more active and do more, and it was a wonderful treat after being sick for so long. I still experienced periodic crashes but less often and much less severe.

Of course, the past 5 months have been rough, with Lyme, but hopefully that's behind me now (I'm still on antibiotics but am Lyme symptom-free now). I'm looking forward to a good 2009.

I also set goals for 2009 this week. My perpetual problem - even before CFS - is trying to do too much. I always have lots of ideas and plans but have trouble finding the time and energy to tackle all of them. Obviously, this problem was greatly exacerbated with CFS! Last year was a breakthrough for me because I felt so much better. I was able to start lots of new writing projects and do some things I'd been planning for years. I didn't see a lot of results in 2008 (or new income), partly because I was so sick the last 5 months, but I got a lot of things started that I hope to follow-up on this year. So, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of what I'd like to do but mostly optimistic about the new year.

And that horrible mess pictured here? Ah, yes, that's my desk, covered with stacks of paper. First of all, I hope to get it cleared off, so I can start the year a bit more organized. I posted the picture here so I'd be shamed into doing something about it! I finally got a start today. So, I'm feeling ready to start the new year!

5 comments:

Shelli said...

You are very brave to post a picture! My desk looks very similar to yours.

I love having goals instead of resolutions for the new year. It is so much more workable, instead of the feeling of failure if you miss a resolution.

I'm interested in hearing more about your writing projects, as I feel I'm being led in that direction as well. I'm also going to look into LDN -- thank you for sharing that information!

I love your blog and I appreciate your encouragement. It is very inspiring to find someone who, as you've said, is learning to live life fully with CFS. You've shown what a worthy and attainable goal that is!

Ms.F. said...

Hi,

I've had CFS for the past 7 yrs too and am still learning to cope with it. Thank you for sharing your story.

I just started a blog a couple of days back. I'd love any comments/suggestions :)

http://fatiguedbutfabulousforever.blogspot.com/

Paula said...

Sue - I'm glad you're doing so well. I hope you're contagious :-)
New beginnings are so exciting. I hope we all get that chance..

Sue Jackson said...

Hi, Ms. F -

Thanks for stopping by my blog - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I will go and check out yours as well. I think you'll find a wonderful and very supportive group within this virtual CFS blogging world - and all of us have similar experiences and understand what you're going through. Welcome!

Sue

Ms.F. said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog Sue. I will check out the book you mentioned!

I also look fwd to following your blog.

Cheers :)