I'm way behind here. I've been meaning to bring you up-to-date on all sorts of things here, including our current battle against yeast overgrowth.
As you know, Jamie and I both have Lyme disease as well as ME/CFS. In fact, Jamie has 3 tick-borne illnesses: Lyme, bartonella, and babesia. So, we have both been on heavy-duty antibiotics for a long time (a year for Jamie and almost three years now for me). Since antibiotics kill off all kinds of bacteria - both the good stuff in the intestines as well as the bad stuff - yeast overgrowth is always a possibility.
I've had almost three years on high-dose doxcycline with no signs of trouble at all. I doubled my dose of probiotic when I started the antibiotics, and that seemed to do the trick for me. I also take oregano and olive leaf, both of which are potent anti-fungals (as well as anti-virals and antibiotics). Then, two weeks ago, I added another antibiotic, Flagyl, and within a few days, I noticed thrush on my tongue!
As for Jamie, he has struggled with yeast overgrowth for at least 6 months. I think his time on high-dose Zithromax is what did it (though it did help with his bartonella). We noticed on our vacation in June that the thrush in his mouth had gotten pretty severe. He was also experiencing other symptoms that our Lyme doctor told us were due to yeast overgrowth (terrible aches in his legs and weird itchiness on the undersides of his arms).
So, here's what we are taking each day to help combat yeast overgrowth:
- 4 Culturelle (a probiotic, contains lactobacillus)
- 4 Saccharomyces Boulardii (a probiotic that specifically targets yeast, recommended by our Lyme doctor)
- 4 New Chapter All-Flora - me only (my usual probiotic, includes 9 varieties, non-dairy)
- Olive leaf extract (4 for me, 2 for Jamie)
- 2 ADP (emulsified oregano)
- Drinking clove tea (me only, a friend recommended it)
- 100 mg Diflucan, a prescription anti-fungal, for both of us.
So, that's our latest battle. Just what we needed, more bugs to fight, right? I'm interested to hear about others' experiences with yeast overgrowth, and would love to hear any tips on how to get rid of it.