Saturday, November 01, 2014

Quote It Saturday 11/1

In this occasional feature, I choose a quote or two from a book that has relevance to those of us living with chronic illness.

Frankenstein doesn't sound like it would be a good source for inspirational quotes, but I read the classic by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley this month for Halloween, and I discovered it is a very thoughtful and thought-provoking novel, more focused on human nature than on monsters. You can read more about it in my review.

Two quotes in particular caught my eye, one dealing with sorrow and one with joy:

"Heavy misfortunes have befallen us, but let us only cling closer to what remains and transfer our love for those whom we have lost to those who yet live. Our circle will be small but bound close by the ties of affection and mutual misfortune. And when time shall have softened your despair, new and dear objects of care will be born to replace those of whom we have been so cruelly deprived."

          - Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecroft Shelley

Although in the book, he is talking specifically about losing loved ones, I think the sentiments apply equally well to other kinds of losses, like losing our former occupations or favorite activities to illness. Time does indeed soften our despair, and new interests - reading, blogging, knitting, etc. - may come to replace those other things we've lost. And I love the line about "bound close by the ties of affection and mutual misfortune" - that perfectly describes the closeness we often gain from our new friends (often online friends) whom share our illness.

And, now joy:

"When happy, inanimate nature had the power of bestowing on me the most delightful sensations. A serene sky and verdant fields filled me with ecstasy."

          - Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecroft Shelley

I love that line, and it perfectly describes my own feelings about nature. Lying out on my back deck, looking up at blue sky, fluffy white clouds, and the gorgeous colors of fall can fill me with unbridled joy, even on a bad day. I was feeling pretty awful most of the last few weeks. Last Tuesday, my husband took over most of my responsibilities, but I still managed to drive out to the local farm to pick up our weekly veggies. It was a perfect fall day, sunny and in the 70's, and the 10-minute drive in my VW convertible, amid the fall colors, lifted my spirits more than I thought possible.

If you'd like to know more about this classic novel and its philosophical bent, you can read my review on my book blog.

Hope you are enjoying a wonderful weekend!


No comments: