Friday, February 17, 2006

Is It the Weather?

When my doctor first told me that the weather and seasons could affect my CFIDS symptoms, I thought she was crazy. How on earth could the weather affect physical symptoms? Over the years, though, I've found that she was right.

Yesterday was a great day for me. My CFIDS symptoms were almost non-existent all day, and I was filled with an energy and vibrancy I used to take for granted. I didn't just feel good; I felt vibrant and fully alive. Certainly, my efforts to rest the day before had an effect, as I was determined to pull out of my latest crash in time for the weekend, but the burst of energy I felt went far beyond what mere rest can supply. I felt great in part because of the blue skies, sunshine, and mild temperatures.

I don't fully understand how the weather affects me, but it seems to have something to do with changes in air pressure. The most obvious effect, dating back to before I got sick, are the excruciating sinus headaches I get when a weather front is coming through. Today is one of those days. The wind has been blowing fiercely all day as the temperature drops. I've felt achy all over and have one of those mind-numbing headaches. When the cold front finally comes through, I know that my pain will disappear like a popping bubble.

Although it's always good to be able to recognize these effects and understand what's behind the ups and downs, it's discouraging that the weather affects me so much because it's something over which I have no control (control is a topic in itself, for another day). I can try decongestant and aspirin to reduce the headache pain a bit, but ultimately, I know I just have to wait for the whims of the weather to change again.

No comments: