Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Who Takes Care of Mom?

It's Day 3 of all three of us being sick at home. I'm doing a little better this morning, but I had a little break-down last night.

It's impossible to take care of myself and rest like I need to when both boys are also sick. Twelve-year old Jamie is fairly self-sufficient and is content to read for hours at a time (he also had plenty of practice with crashes during the past two years). Eight-year old Craig requires more attention. Plus, he seems to be constantly hungry when he's crashed, asking me for more food within minutes after finishing a meal (just as I wrote that sentence, he said, "Mom, I'm hungry")!

Last night, my husband and I were struggling to help both boys with missed schoolwork, they were both feeling worse as it got later, and I felt really awful. Oh, and I was tryng to pay our bills at the same time (several of which were late because I've been so sick lately). I finally just hit overload. I left the room so my kids wouldn't see me lose it.

Here's the scene that says it all about being a Mom:
I was lying in my bed in the dark, quietly crying about everyone needing me when I just needed to rest, and Jamie walked into my room. In a sweet, nurturing voice, he said, "Oh, Mommy. I'm sorry you're feeling so bad." He gently rubbed my back. (30-second pause and change of tone) "Mom, I need your help on a Social Studies question." Perfect.

Of course, I really love being a Mom and wouldn't trade my life for anything, but sometimes it's so hard to take care of everyone else. Who takes care of Mom?

1 comment:

greenwords said...

I can't imagine how hard it is parenting while you have this illness - and adding in caring for youngsters with it as well - mind-boggling. I hope someone takes care of mum sometimes!