Friday, February 20, 2009

Party Preparations


It's been a busy week! Both boys took turns being home sick with that respiratory virus I had recently, plus we've been very busy getting ready for our annual Mardi Gras party this weekend.

We used to live in New Orleans, and we began a tradition of having a Mardi Gras party when we moved here to Delaware. It eventually grew into a HUGE thing with 50-60 people, large amounts of food and beer, and a very late night.

Post-CFS, the Mardi Gras party tradition continues but as a quieter, more reasonable affair. We've actually got a pretty big crowd coming this year - about 20 including kids - bigger than in recent years. I was a little worried about that, but I think I'll be OK and I'm relieved that the kids are both feeling better. My wonderful friends have all offered to help, I made the red beans last week and froze them, and I picked up the King Cakes today (yes, there is 1 bakery in Delaware that makes them!).

Tomorrow morning I'll make the jambalya, then just rest up for the party. The boys love to handle the decorations (I'll post pictures next week - this one is from '06), and Ken will run some last-minute errands. Pacing and lots of help! Being able to still hold up this tradition (in a modified form) really makes me feel good - I'm looking forward to having our friends over tomorrow.

Check out NOLA.com for full Mardi Gras coverage and live webcams of the parades this weekend through Tuesday! And, for a real treat, order some Zapp's potato chips - the cajun crawtator and cajun dill are the best flavors!

And if you're interested in reading about New Orleans, check out the link at my latest book blog posting - this book sounds wonderful. (plus, I posted a new book review yesterday)

Enjoy your weekend and Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez! (aka Let the good times roll)Link

4 comments:

Lori P said...

Oh sounds like fun! I hope you all have a blast. Rest up!

Paula said...

That is awesome! We started doing "Oktoberfest" at our house 2 years ago. My husband's passion - loud Germans, beer and a party! I didn't know how we were going to do it this past Sept., but we scaled back and I got help and we still had it. I want to continue with these traditions too. It's important enjoy life as much as we can!

Have fun!

Dusty Bogwrangler said...

I admire the way you make sure you have a life in spite of the illness.

Have a fabulous party.

Shelli said...

I hope you have a fantastic time! I want to get to a point where I can do something like that, too -- plan a fun activity without freaking out, and then just enjoy it.