Thursday, June 03, 2010

In Loving Memory of Grandma

Ken's mom passed away this morning, after a brave, 30-year battle with Parkinson's disease.  She was a wonderful, loving woman who welcomed me into the family and always treated me like her own daughter (who she lost at age 36).  She was also a fun-loving and caring Grandma, much loved by all of her grandkids. 

We have wonderful memories of playing games with her around the kitchen table, celebrating New Year's Eve with her and Granddad every year, and looking forward to all the goodies she had waiting for the kids when we visited.  Earlier, before Parkinson's took away her mobility, she and Ken's dad loved to travel and camp, taking Ken and his sister on trips all over the U.S. western states.  Here's a picture of Grandma and Granddad with Jamie and Craig in 2006, happier times, when she was still able to get around.

She's been in a nursing home for the past two years and has steadily declined recently.  Although we are all upset and will miss her terribly, her passing is a blessing as she's had no quality of life these past few months.  She is free now and no longer suffering.

Ken and I spent today on the phone and making travel arrangements for Oklahoma.  It was tough to find available seats on flights.  He and Jamie will leave at 6 am tomorrow (!).  Craig and I will follow tomorrow afternoon, after Craig appears in his 6th grade talent show.  We don't arrive until midnight, so it will be a long day for all of us.  Thank goodness I've been feeling better lately and have better stamina.  I will certainly need it this weekend.  We're doing OK, but it will be a difficult few days ahead.

6 comments:

Renee said...

You will all be in my prayers. I am sorry for your loss. May God give everyone the strength and peace they need at this time.
Gentle hugs, Sue....

parenting ad absurdum said...

Sue - what a lovely tribute. Thinking of you and your family. Grandmas are so hard to say goodbye to...

Peryl

Laurel said...

Sorry to hear of your loss, Sue. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Toni said...

Such a beautiful tribute, Sue. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be thinking of your and your family with loving thoughts this week.

Toni

Anonymous said...

Very sorry for your loss, Sue. I am glad your mother-in-law is at peace now in Paradise! I hope the trip to Oklahoma won't take too much of a toll on you. Hugs, Judy

Dominique said...

I'm so sorry for you loss. I'm glad you coming to OK but I wish it were under different circumstances!

May God's grace under-gird you through the next few days with strength and energy.

Sending hugs your way.