Monday, July 18, 2011

Movie Monday 7/18

Ah, today was a very quiet day around here.  The boys were still wiped out from a Saturday night sleep-over, plus Jamie and I were both still tired from visiting University of Delaware on Saturday (LOTS of walking!).

We did, however, find some time for movies this weekend, and they were all great:
  • How about the big news first?  We actually saw a movie in the theater!  Yup, the only one we get to each year...Harry Potter (what will we do now that the series is finished?).  We took the boys and a friend of theirs to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2, yesterday, and it was fabulous, of course.  I also finished re-reading the book yesterday, and the boys and their friend watched movie #6 and #7, part 1, to catch their friend up before we went, so it was an all-Harry Potter day.  Lots of fun!  The movie was excellent, just like all the others, and a great ending to the series.
  • Friday night, we watched Toy Story 3 with the kids, one of many big movies we meant to see in the theater and just never did.  It was wonderful, just as everyone said it was.  The whole series is just so incredibly clever, plus funny and touching.  I cried when Andy left for college (and Craig made fun of me again!).  Whatever will I do next year when it is my own Jamie leaving for college?  I think he teared up a bit, too.  Only Pixar can make me cry over animated characters (I cried at Up, too).
  • While the boys were enjoying their sleepover Saturday night, Ken and I watched Pirate Radio and loved it!  It's about a pirate radio station on a boat off the coast of England in the 60's (apparently the regular British radio wouldn't play any rock 'n roll).  The disc jockeys are hilarious (one of whom is played by Philip Seymour Hoffman), the story is lots of fun, and the soundtrack is amazing!  Sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll...what's not to like?
  • Finally, we have been using the summertime TV lull to catch up on some old favorite TV shows and get into some new ones.  Resting today, the boys watched back-to-back episodes of The Mentalist all afternoon!  We just started watching Bones this past season, so we're having fun watching season 1 and seeing how the series started.  And Ken and I are continuing to make our way (slowly) through past seasons of Mad Men.
Have you seen any good movies lately?

(If you are interested in what my family and I are reading this week, check out the Monday post on my book blog.)

10 comments:

Shelli said...

My husband and I are planning on watching The Social Network tonight. I don't get to see many movies, so I'm really looking forward to it.:)

Sue Jackson said...

Shelli -

The Social Network was really good! We watched it with our older son a few months ago.

Enjoy movie night!

Sue

Baffled said...

Hubby and I watched Pirate Radio a few months ago. That is such a great movie. We both really liked it.

I haven't been watching too many movies. I've been on a TV series kick so have been mixing up The Tudors (not kid friendly but really good and I skip the gory bits) with Starhunter (Canadian SciFi) and Warehouse 13 (lighthearted American SciFi).

Are you watching The Mentalist on Hulu or another site??

Annie said...

Hi Sue
I emailed you a few weeks ago from Melbourne about how fabulously helpful your blog has been to me. Am now blogging at parentingcfs.com and would love to be able to cite your blog in a post I'm about to do about reading credible sources (and how yours is one!) and link to it generally. Would that be okay? BTW I too cried in Up so maybe I won't see TS3!
Best Wishes
Annie

Sue Jackson said...

Baffled -

We're watching the old TV episodes on DVDs from the library (it's free!), plus some good friends lent the boys their full set of The Mentalist and Num8ers DVDs.

I haven't tried Hulu, though I do sometimes watch single episodes online at the network websites, if I missed one or something.

Now my boys have discovered On Demand, which they love!

I haven't heard of any of the shows you're watching - will have to check them out!

Sue

Sue Jackson said...

Annie -

Thank you so much for the kind words! Yes, of course I would be honored for you to include my blog on your resource list. I'll send you a message, too. Thanks!

Sue

Never That Easy said...

Sounds like you and I enjoyed the same movies recently. DH Part 2 was amazing, I thought, just spectacular (and if cinema seats and fibro flares weren't such enemies, I'd go back and see it again right now.)

Pixar movies are made for tears, I think. Although the part that got me was when the toys were all holding hands and sliding down that pile of garbage. Sob.

Sue Jackson said...

NTE -

I couldn't believe you actually went to the midnight showing of HP!! Wow, you are brave. Good for you! I hope you didn't suffer too much for your efforts.

Sue

Sue Jackson said...

Baffled -

I just realized you were the one who recommended Pirate Radio to me! Sorry I didn't give you credit earlier - thanks!

Sue

Annie said...

Thanks Sue. Too busy watching the Tour de France here to watch movies this weekend! There's an Australian who may win.... Hope you're having a good weekend.