Monday, November 14, 2011

Movie Monday 11/14

We had a rough week here last week.  Jamie was home from school from Tuesday on, and I was badly crashed from Thursday on.  Maybe we were both exposed to a virus or something.  I can drive myself crazy trying to figure these things out!  My mom and her husband came to visit for the weekend.  It was great to see them, and my mom took over the kitchen, which I really appreciated!  I had been too sick to even get groceries, so she planned meals, went to the store, and did most of the cooking.  What a relief!

I'm doing a little bit better today, though still not in great shape.  More importantly, Jamie went back to school today and is even doing a little homework now.

Despite all the sick days, we didn't watch many movies.  Jamie read 5 books last week (!) and he and I watched some TV shows On Demand during the day and on DVD with the rest of the family (mainly Bones, The Big Bang Theory, NCIS, NCIS-LA, and some episodes of Psych).  We did fit in one movie, on Thursday night since the kids were off school the next day:
  • We finished off our X-Men trilogy that some friends lent us with X-Men: The Last Stand.  It was pretty good, like the other X-Men movies - lots of action and battle scenes in this one but also some interesting plot elements, where a "cure" has been developed for people with mutations (like the X-Men).  The politics of these movies have been interesting because you can see similar trends and controversies in some of our own current politics, mainly in the fear of people with differences.  All in all, it's been a good series, and the boys really enjoyed it.
Have you seen any good movies lately?

(If you are also interested in what we've been reading this week, check out my book blog.)

4 comments:

Never That Easy said...

I actually just watched the X-Men prequel, X-Men: First Class, which was excellent. Aside from yummy male leads, the origin of the story of Prof. X and Magento was definitely interesting.

Hope you are all feeling AWAP, ASAP. (As Well as Possible, As Soon as Possible)

Annie said...

I finally got around to watching Avatar. It's one of those movies where the buzz about it was so big it's impossible for the reality to live up to it right? Having said that I find it is a movie that has stayed in my consciousness purely because of the beauty of the nature depicted and the topical emphasis on the relationship between environment and population. So I'm glad I watched it!
Now to get around to the X-Men sometime!

Sue Jackson said...

NTE -

Yes, Jamie has seen X-Men: First Class and says it is excellent!

Annie -

Ah, so I'm not the only person in the world who hasn't seen Avatar yet? Our boys saw it at the theater with friends, but Ken and I haven't seen it yet - definitely need to get to it soon!

Sue

Keena said...

Pray that everyone feels better soon...