Monday, October 21, 2013

Movie Monday 10/21

As most of you already know, I was badly crashed for much of last week, continuing a two-week bad cycle, but was starting to feel better by the weekend. Feeling pretty much back to my "old self" now - not my actual old self from 12 years ago, but my usual old self post-CFS. I even took a walk today around my neighborhood - it felt absolutely glorious to be out in the sunshine, moving!

We enjoyed a couple of good movies this weekend:

Friday night, we watched The Avengers with 15-year old Craig. Our older son saw it with college friends last year at the theater, but the rest of us missed it. It was very entertaining and helped to fill in the blanks from last week's viewing of Iron Man 3. You know all those superhero/Marvel comic movies that have come out in recent years? Well, The Avengers pulls them all together into a single storyline. A villain comes along who is too powerful for any one superhero to tackle alone, so all those various heroes come together (reluctantly) - Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, and Thor, along with former Russian spy The Black Widow. As you might imagine, that makes this an action-packed movie, with lots of suspense and fight scenes. But it also has a good sense of humor which we all enjoyed. At the end, I said it was good but the ending battle scene went on a bit too long...and my husband and son both said, "What?? It wasn't long enough!" It all depends on what you like. The star-studded cast makes this movie enjoyable for most, though - how can you go wrong with Robert Downey, Jr., Mark Ruffalo, and Chris Hemsworth (Thor) in one movie?

Watching The Avengers made us all curious about the new TV show, Agents of SHIELD, that just started last month. The premise is that it picks up right where the movie left off - after the battle of New York and the superheros fleeing off to wherever superheroes go. The agents of the title are on the lookout for others with superhero power so that they can protect them from those who would exploit them. So, we watched the first episode last night, and it's pretty good.

My son went to his Homecoming dance Saturday night, so my husband and I watched another movie, Star Trek Into Darkness. This is the second movie in the new Star Trek series, featuring Kirk, Spock, and the rest of the original crew when they were young and just starting out. Yes, another action-packed movie (that's life when you're the only female in the household!), but I enjoyed it. The Enterprise's crew heads out to deep space to go after a rogue Starfleet agent who has bombed headquarters. If you are a long-time Star Trek fan, like my husband (and me to a lesser extent), there are a lot of inside jokes here and connections to be made with stuff that happened later in the original TV series and the earlier movies. Entertaining, but I think I've seen enough explosions and fights to last me a while now.

Have you seen any good movies lately?

No comments: