Monday, December 08, 2008

Holiday Spirit

I'm trying to get in the holiday spirit, but it's tough so far. I'm still very, very sick with this awful virus. Jamie is, too, although so far he's only missed one day of school. I'm worried he's on the verge of bronchitis, though. Then, on Sunday, Craig started to complain of a sore throat, post-nasal drip, and feeling like he had to constantly cough. Jamie and I looked at each other and said, "uh-oh, that sounds familiar." He made it to school for most of the day today, but he's feeling pretty crummy tonight. His holiday concert for band is tomorrow, and he'll be totally crushed if he can't make it. I'm hoping he'll at least get through tomorrow without crashing.

My car is still in the shop, so we're really struggling to get by with just one. Not that I've been well enough to go anywhere, but I'm too sick to walk to the end of the neighborhood where the bus picks the kids up. And, to top it off, we just learned that Jamie has a broken toe (another reason I need the car to go to the bus stop!), so I have to take him to the children's hospital tomorrow morning to get a boot-thingy to immobilize it.

I don't mean to complain so much, but I feel like December is passing me by. I did manage to do some online shopping today - thank goodness for the internet! (Be sure to use iGive when you shop to help raise money for CFS research). I'm also grateful that I started shopping early this year, back in November. I was looking for bargains because money is so tight, but it has worked out well now that I'm too sick to get out.

We made our annual trek to the tree farm this weekend and decorated our tree. It's one of our favorite parts of the season, but I was so wiped out on Sunday that it was a real struggle just to help decorate it. Our best friends just called tonight and offered to host our annual cookie-decorating-Grinch-watching party. I'm very grateful for that - we usually have it at our house, but I was wondering how I'd manage this year. It's another favorite part of the holidays for us.

So, I'm trying to get in the spirit! My follow-up appointment with the Lyme doctor is on Wednesday, and I'm hoping he'll be able to finally give me some answers and some help.

2 comments:

Shelli said...

This is my struggle, too! I love Christmas and all the traditions around it, but it all just wipes me out. I should be eagerly anticipating all the fun things, but I dread them instead. I'm trying to find a carpe diem attitude and embrace the joyful moments when they come.

I hope your son makes it to the concert! One of the worst things about CFS is feeling you're missing out on things.

Good luck making it through the season!

Laura (aka Mom) said...

Hi Sue,

I'm sorry you're still so sick. I hope Craig makes it to his concert. That is tough without a car.

Online shopping works! I've let Christmas sneak up on me, as usual, so I'm doing some online shopping too. That's good that you did some of your shopping early! I'm glad you've got your tree up to enjoy.

Your cookie-decorating-Grinch-watching party sounds interesting! I hope you're feeling well and able to enjoy it!

Let me know what the Lyme doctor says.

Laura