Monday, December 26, 2011

Movie Monday 12/26

I hope all of you out there are enjoying the holiday season with your family!  We had a very good Christmas - nice and quiet, mostly just the 4 of us, the way we like it!  None of our family lives nearby, so we travel to see them before and after Christmas and enjoy a quiet Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  This year, my mom and her husband joined us for dinner last night (they had to catch a flight out of Philly this morning), so that was nice, too.

With school ending last week for winter break, we finally had a little bit of time in the evenings to relax with some movies with the kids:
  • We watched the latest Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides with the kids.  It was as good as all the others - lots of action, swashbuckling adventure, and plenty of humor.  Johnny Depp was born for this role!
  • We also watched Super 8 with the kids, and we all loved it.  It's set in 1979, about a group of kids who are filming a movie.  By mistake, they capture a horrible accident on film and when they watch it later (after it gets developed - remember those days?), they realize they have the answer to some questions about very strange things going on in their town.  No one else knows what they know, so it's up to them to save the entire town.  Ken said it was Goonies meets the aliens, an apt description!  The sci fi action and suspense are all very good, but the nostalgia is lots of fun, too.
  • Today, the kids watched Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows, Part 2, one of their Christmas gifts from us (we got them the last 4 DVDs they needed to complete their Harry Potter collection).
How about you?  Have you watched any good movies lately?

Here's an "after" picture of our living room after opening gifts - a joyful mess!


9 comments:

Sarah Dawneé said...

I'm glad all of you had a lovely Christmas! I still have yet to see the latest Pirates movie, but I agree that Johnny Depp is positively perfect for that role!

It's been a wonderful time for my family and I too. I haven't watched many movies lately, but I'm hoping to watch some soon! =)

Baffled said...

These are all on my too watch list. I still have to see Hallows part 1. I got way behind in my Harry Potter movies.

I got Cowboys & Aliens. Not bad. Good shoot em up SF movie.

I watched Morning Glory with Sis and Mom. Harrison Ford and Diane Keaton were wonderful in it. We also watched Miss Congeniality. I liked that one also.

Glad you had a good Christmas. I did too despite the sounds of gun fire.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a wonderful Christmas. Wishing you and yours a very happy 2012!

Maya said...

My brain won't let me get through a movie, so's it's mostly NF Watch Instantly TV.

Obsessed with Brit TV lately. I found this old show from the 80's (I think), called Mapp and Lucia. I loved it.

After stumbling across a few of the audiobooks by E.F. Benson a while ago, I was hungry for more. M&L was quite tasty.

Sue Jackson said...

Baffled -

I've heard Morning Glory is good - that one is on my list! We haven't seen Cowboys vs. Aliens yet, but I know the kids want to. Miss Congeniality is good for some laughs I really like Sandra Bullock.

Sue

Sue Jackson said...

Maya -

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time. It's great that you've found some Tv shows you can enjoy right now! I've never heard of NF Watch Instantly TV - I guess its similar to Hulu? We just discovered On Demand from our cable service this year and have enjoyed finding new shows that way.

Sue

Baffled said...

Forgot to mention our new obsession: Person of Interest. I know your whole family will like this one. Hurry since the episodes are disappearing off the CBS site.

Sue Jackson said...

Ah, yes! We are all interested in Person of Interest - I watched one, but we haven't had a chance to watch any more yet. On his sick days, Jamie is always looking for new shows to watch - I'll pass this on!

Sue

Baffled said...

Hope you had a good New Year's celebration. I just selected you for a Liebster Blog Award because I love reading your blog.

Here is an excerpt from my post http://infinatedays.blogspot.com/2012/01/liebster-blog-award.html

The idea of the Liebster Award is to get the word out about blogs you love to read. The rules are simple:

1) List five blogs you enjoy reading.
2) Let the author know you've selected them for the award.
3) Copy and paste the award to your blog.
4) Hope the recipients will pass it along to their five favs.

Learning to Live with CFS: While I've never met Sue in person, we've become friends via the blogsphere. Her family has been struggling with CFS/ME for decades and she has become my go to pal for CFS information. She intersperses information and entertainment on her blog.

I just want to thank you for all you have done for me. It is such a pleasure knowing you.