Monday, March 12, 2012

Movie Monday 3/12

Ah, another week gone by with just a single blog post.  Sorry I have been so quiet lately - I have been 100% focused on taking care of my son.  Last week, I even began trying to tutor him because he's been too sick to work with his homebound tutors lately, so I am trying to help him make a little progress, in 5 or 10 minute periods of learning.  Baby steps.  We did finally get some good news from his high school last week that should help him to graduate on time with his class in June.  I'll tell you more about that this week - I promise!  The meeting last Thursday totally wiped me out, so I was too exhausted to write about it.

We had a much more relaxing weekend than usual, now that we have finished several critical steps in procuring financial aid for college next year.  With both our taxes and FASFA filed, plus several early March deadlines met for scholarships, we were able to ease up a bit.  Plus, Jamie felt better yesterday which put us all in a great mood!  He was able to go outside and even had a friend over for a couple of hours.  He is crashed again today, but it was worth it after so many months of isolation.

And, miracle of miracles, Ken and I were able to go out to dinner Saturday night!  It had been months since we've had any time alone together, so we were thrilled to finally use the gift certificate the kids gave us for Christmas (and the chocolate-coconut bread pudding for dessert was amazing!).  So, we only watched one movie this weekend:
  • Friday night, with Craig sleeping at a friend's house, Jamie, Ken, and I watched Contagion, a real-life scary movie with an all-star cast.  It was an excellent movie but one guaranteed to leave you feeling paranoid!  It's the story of what happens when an unexpected virus jumps from pigs to humans and spreads rapidly across the globe.  It was very realistic (perhaps too much so!), showing the challenges we would face in trying to prevent the spread of a deadly virus while the CDC works like crazy (but never fast enough) to try to find a cure for the virus.  Person Zero, as they say in virology, who started the spread of the virus, was played by Gweneth Paltrow who was exposed on a trip to Hong Kong.  As she flies back to the US, she infects the people she comes into contact with, bringing the virus home with her to her husband, played by Matt Damon, and son in Minnesota.  Kate Winslet plays a CDC investigator.  It was very good but very, very creepy.  As soon as it was over, we all washed our hands and I scrubbed down all the remote controls in the family room with disinfecting wipes!  Really, I did!
  • Other than that, we have continued watching episodes on DVD of our favorite TV shows:  Bones and The Mentalist.  We've now caught up with all  6 previous seasons of Bones.  During his sick days, Jamie likes to laugh, so he's been watching lots of episodes of The Office.  The first time I saw the show, I just thought it was stupid, but I have to admit it has grown on me and now, I laugh as hard as Jamie does!  Other shows Jamie and I like to watch On Demand on sick days include Alcatraz (fabulous new show!), The Finder (a Bones spin-off), New Girl, and Suburgatory, plus both NCIS shows.  We also recently caught the new pilots of Awake and Touch, both really awesome and unique.  Way too many sick days lately, as you can see!
Have you seen any good movies lately?  What favorite TV shows keep you company on crash days?

(If you are also interested in what we are reading this week, check out my book blog.)

6 comments:

Renee said...

Sorry Jamie is doing so poorly Sue. Sorry for all of you. We watch Bones sometimes, but mostly in a crash I watch NCIS the original....they are like old friends I have watched them so much :)....We love Castle and The Closer....I like to watch old episodes of Magnum PI on the internet! And the Hallmark Channel.....No movies lately here...

Campbell said...

When I hit a crash, and end up in bed for a few days, I love to watch fantasy movies, like Harry Potter, the sorcerers apprentice, sherlock holmes, Sherk, and I love to watch the bbc L channel with all the cooking programmes. I am at the moment in a crash, which is taking its toll on me and my family and husband, but I keep going to work. basically, I wake, survive and get back to bed! what a wonderful way of living. what I want is to really just stop lay in bed or on the couch, watching movies quietly and on my own, but working for me is essential, as we really need the money. My daughter savanna, has severe depression and has not attended school for almost all this term, and so the welfare has now been set up us and we are having a visit from them soon. Even though we have good reason to keep her home, and have sent all doctors letters into school, they are still insisting on visiting us. this makes me feel like a bad mom! but, is it my fault that I am a suffer of FM/CFS, and that my daughter suffers severe depression and has to at times stay off school. I need understanding and support.

Annie said...

Must be a great relief having all that paperwork done Sue! : )

Sue Jackson said...

Campbell - No, no, no...None of this is your fault! It is certainly not your fault that you are sick. And it is not your fault that your daughter has depression - that is a physiological illness just like CFS caused by shifts in neurochemicals in the brain.

I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. I can't imagine trying to keep working with CFS, and I know first-hand how stressful those battles with the school can be.

It sounds like you could use some support from people who understand what you are going through. If you are on Facebook, there is a group for Moms and Dads who have CFS. Let me know if you are interested in joining, and I will help you.

You are not alone!

Sue

Anonymous said...

Is your son still on antibiotics? If so, have you considered trying him on a drug holiday? I know quite a few people with lyme diagnoses who weren't helped by antibiotics and felt much better once they got off them. Of course everyone's different.

Sue Jackson said...

Thanks for the tip. Yes, we have tried quitting abx all together, but after a few days, he gets much, much worse. These 3 infections have been in his body for probably 5 years, so it is going to take a long time to get rid of them.

We are investigating ways to help him. Thank you so much for your concern and advice. I really appreciate it!

Sue