Friday, August 17, 2012

Quick Update and Good News!

Sorry I haven't been posting much - far too busy this week for even a Movie Monday post - I will try to catch up next week.  This morning I need to bake a gluten-free/dairy-free cake, bake GF brownies, refill our 12 weekly medicine boxes, shower, and pack for a weekend with my extended family.  Yeah, that's all.  So I really do have time for just a quick update - I thought I should at least share some good news...

The college's Disability Office called on Monday to tell Jamie they found him a single room.  It's not ideal - no a/c (in Delaware!), no private bathroom - but it IS a single, on the first floor, in a building a few blocks from where his classes will be.  So, Jamie finally made his decision:  he is going to try living on campus and will take 3 courses this first semester.  It took some convincing to talk him down from 4 courses - hopefully, he will be able to handle three.

So, we are taking the plunge!  Next week, we need to pay tuition, find out how he'll manage a restricted diet in the dining halls, outfit his dorm room, call the Transportation Department about parking, and then, on Saturday, help him move in!

Meanwhile, yesterday was Jamie's 18th birthday!  He is officially an adult now - yikes.  We took him out for a steak dinner (thankfully, his favorite meal is naturally gluten and dairy free) and celebrated with a gluten-free/dairy-free banana cake with "cream cheese" frosting!  Everyone LOVED the cake (I don't think they even noticed the frosting was non-dairy), and Jamie said he will be asking me to make that exact cake for his birthday every year until I am old and senile.

Thanks for all your encouragement and support these very difficult months - we still have a great many challenges ahead, I am sure, but things are definitely looking up.




6 comments:

Renee said...

Wow! Wow again! So much going on in your household......exciting news about Jamie being able to live on campus. Big changes ahead! Congrats mom and all!,,,

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for your family. A single room will make so much difference. Wishing Jamie the best of luck.

hkd said...

congratulations Jamie!!! know how many people are cheering you on!

upnorth said...

I hope that this works out for him - fingers and toes crossed.

Unknown said...

Hi there. I have been reading your blog for quite a while now. I just wondered how you were getting on with the Gluten Free thing? I cut it out on a week a go so still waiting to see if it does me any good.

Keep up the good work! I love reading your posts.

Sue Jackson said...

Hi, Miss -

I will post an update soon on the whole diet thing. It's going fine so far - a bit over 3 weeks now, totally gluten-free and dairy free. Neither of us has noticed any difference yet, though...still in wait and see mode. Let me know how it goes for you and if you notice any improvements!

Sue