Friday, April 08, 2016

Book Review: How To Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness

Have you heard of Toni Bernhard? She's an important member of our ME/CFS community, a kind, compassionate person with a background in Buddhism. Last fall, Toni published her third book, How To Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness, which I just reviewed on my book blog.

I have read and reviewed two previous books by Toni Bernhard, who has become a good friend of mine over our 14 years of illness together (we got sick at about the same time): How To Be Sick and How To Wake Up. The first book was about applying the principles of Buddhism to a life of chronic illness, and the second was a more general book – for anyone, not just those chronically ill – about applying Buddhism principles for a happier, more peaceful life. In her third book, How To Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness: A Mindful Guide, Toni once again focuses on those living with chronic illness and pain, with a more general guide, based on her own life and experiences and the wonderful columns, “Turning Straw Into Gold,” that she has written for Psychology Today.

I highly recommend all three books - I've found them all helpful in improving my life. Like me, Toni has a strong focus on finding joy in every day and living life to the fullest (in her own way), even with the extreme restrictions she lives with. I think this third book is my favorite, packed full of personal experience & helpful advice on living with chronic illness. Check out my full review and see for yourself.

Thanks for another outstanding book that will greatly help your fellow patients, Toni!


No comments: