Wednesday, June 07, 2017

New ProHealth Article: Travel Tips for the Chronically Ill


My Travel Kit
My latest article has been published at the ProHealth website, just in time for summer: Travel Tips for the Chronically Ill. You can read the full article at that link, and I will reprint it here on the blog next month.

This article pulls together travel tips from our extensive experience: 15+ years of traveling with at least 1 of us (and sometimes 3 of the 4 of us) chronically ill. Through all that time, we have continued to travel: driving and flying to visit family, annual 3-week long trips cross country with our camper, vacation with extended family (those are the toughest), and more recently, my husband and I venturing out on some empty-nest road trips of our own. I've written here on the blog before about our tips for travel, but this article puts all of that experience in one place.

Stuff I bring to help with OI
The article mentions the important of understanding and treating Orthostatic Intolerance (OI), which greatly affects everyone with ME/CFS. You can read more about OI and how to treat it in this post. Treating OI will not only make travel easier for you, it can often dramatically improve all of your symptoms. You can also try other treatments to improve your condition so that you can travel more easily (or at all, if you are currently severely ill) - this post on Effective Treatments for ME/CFS explains about the treatments that have most helped my sons and I to feel better and become more active. Finally, if - like us - you enjoy the outdoors, this blog post includes some of the same tips but focuses specifically on outdoor activities & travel.

My husband and I are planning a week camping in Vermont this month, and we will put all these tips int use!

Do you have any travel plans for the summer?

No comments: