Monday, May 11, 2015

Movie Monday 5/11

Rough week for us here. My Dad has been battling stage 4 melanoma for the past year and has been pretty stable with his treatments (both chemo and immunotherapy), but last week, he started to have balance problems. An MRI showed multiple lesions in his brain - the news I have been dreading all this past year. They started radiation therapy immediately, and he may need surgery to remove the largest tumor.

When we found out, we changed our weekend plans to spend Mother's Day weekend with my mom and (with her blessing) instead drove to Rochester, NY, to spend the weekend with my Dad and his wife. He was feeling OK this weekend, other than being very tired (they have him on steroids which are disrupting his sleep), and we thoroughly enjoyed our time together.

We watched some old home movies - so much fun! - and also rented a DVD Saturday evening:

We watched Predestination, a twisty-turny sci fi suspense movie starring Ethan Hawke. Hawke plays a Temporal Agent, part of a secret government agency that uses time travel to prevent horrific crimes from occurring. His current project/obsession is a bomber from the 1970's who destroyed many lives, culminating in a huge explosion in 1975 that leveled city blocks and killed over 10,000 people - that's what Hawke's character wants to prevent. I don't want to say anymore about the plot because this movie is full of surprises! I wasn't even sure if I should mention the time travel element because that surprised me, but my son says it was obvious from one of the very first scenes (I can be a little slow!) and I see that even the briefest movie descriptions online mention that. This movie will leave your brain spinning with each new development, with an ending that makes you say, "Wait a minute. What?" But in a good way. We all really enjoyed it. It's a clever, suspenseful movie filled with the kinds of paradoxes that make me love time travel stories.

Have you seen any good movies lately?

1 comment:

ana said...

So very sorry to hear of your Father's illness Sending thoughts and love to you and your family