Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Joys

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

We enjoyed a nice Christmas at home.  Jamie and I weren't feeling good for some of it, but that's the nice thing about our quiet day at home - we could rest when we needed to.

I was really hoping to make it to Christmas Eve church service, but I was still badly crashed by that afternoon.  So, we gave up on that plan (with much relief), had our dinner, then snuggled into the family room to watch It's A Wonderful Life together!  It's the first time Craig had seen it, and Jamie hadn't seen it in about 6 years, so it was really fun to share one of my favorites with the kids.  Of course, Craig made fun of me when I cried at the end (as I always do!), but Jamie said, "I can see why this movie could make you cry."  I love it!

Strange, isn't it?  Each man's life touches so many other lives.  When he isn't around, it leaves an awful hole, doesn't it?


...You see, George, you really had a wonderful life!

We did get up off the couch to briefly make an appearance at our neighbor's open house on Christmas Eve...and we even changed out of our sweats (briefly!).  I probably shouldn't have gone, but they are such wonderful people and are so kind to us.  We only stayed for a short while, then came back home to read our traditional Christmas books around the tree before bed.

We all managed Christmas morning OK and enjoyed opening our presents and having a big breakfast.  We pulled off some great surprises, including a ping-pong table for the boys and a new TV for their games in the basement (to replace the 80's-era one they were using!).  If you're interested in reading about the books we got as gifts, check out my book blog.  By afternoon, Jamie and I were both feeling crummy, so we spent much of the day reading and watching movies.

Jamie barely made it to the dinner table, then collapsed back onto the couch, in the dark family room, curled up in a ball.  No matter how many times I see it, it still breaks my heart when he feels so bad.  He went up to bed at 7 pm, but he's feeling much better today, thank goodness, and is having fun with his friends and his brother and their new toys!

I hope all of you had a merry Christmas, too!

8 comments:

Shelli said...

Merry Christmas, Sue. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with your family.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely quiet holiday with reading and movies! We had a quiet one too. Everyone gathered at my dad's for a couple of hours, about as long as several of us could manage without overdoing. We all contributed food so no one had to cook it all!! Then the snow started and today is a quiet day inside reading and watching tv and putzing around online and napping while the snow falls.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Leanne said...

Glad you had an ok day.
Felt real weird this Christmas, I didn't do much baking - made an allergy free Christmas cake turned out real good.
Keeping the food real healthy seems to help dd with CFS. She coped good on the day - but as a only us 4 was able to play board game & then rested before another round.

Love Leanne NZ

Renee said...

So glad your Christmas went well...even with the ups and downs of the ME/CFS.

dominique said...

Unfortunately my Christmas was just me but reading about your day made me feel so good. It sounds like you had such a wonderful day. I'm so glad.

Say hi to the family for me!

Pamela said...

Merry Christmas Sue! Sounds like you had a great day :)

parenting ad absurdum said...

It was a tired but merry christmas here as well :). Love to you and yours!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good Christmas, Sue. So did we, and I posted pics at my blog too. We watched "It's a Wonderful Life" also! It has become a Christmas tradition in our little family. We watch "A Christmas Story" on Christmas eve. And this year, we watched the original "Miracle On 34th Street" for the first time a few days before Christmas! So I think we just added a new tradition! :-D

Judy