Thursday, January 20, 2011

Down But Not Out

Ah, not much energy for writing today - just a quick update.  After two straight weeks of good days (yes, two weeks!), I finally had a down day today.  Both of my kids have had mild cold symptoms this week and say everyone at school is sick, so I'm guessing this is a viral trigger that caused me to crash a bit today.  The beta blockers are still keeping my heart rate in normal range, but I had a sore throat and aches today.  Although OI is a big part of CFS, the immune dysfunction is still at its heart!

I am proud of myself, though, because I recognized the signs and gave up my plans.  Yes, it was a Plan B day.  I set aside the grocery list I'd made until tomorrow (I hope), went back up to bed, set the laptop aside, and picked up my book.  Then I set even the book aside, closed my eyes, and took a nap...then another in the afternoon!

Jamie and I had ourselves a little Lost marathon this afternoon, I got Five Guys burgers and fries for dinner (so bad but so good!!), and I'm heading to bed early.  Hopefully, tomorrow will be better, but even if it's not, Ken finally gets home tomorrow - hurray! - so I'll have some back-up if I need it.  I just hope the snow predicted isn't too bad.  I don't think I could handle more shoveling right now.

6 comments:

Baffled said...

I didn't realize that you had been doing so well. That is so wonderful!

Lost is on my list of shows to watch. I gave up on it when it was on TV but I think I might just do a few Netflix marathons so I can see the episodes in order.

I hope you aren't coming down with something. Rest up!

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling a bit better today. I'm tired of winter and snow and stuff. I'm so ready for warmer weather!! Take care!!

Renee said...

Two weeks..that is great! Plan B days seem fewer for you than before...It is cold cold here today. Woke up to -25 degrees...and that is not the wind chill! I am going under my woolie and staying there. Our mini schnauzer is already cuddled up on my woolie...smart dog!
Glad Ken will be home soon.
Wasn't it good to hear from Terri? I am going to look into her A-Bart formula as a back up as I think we need to switch around things to stay ahead of these bugs...It may be a future necessity.
Have a good day.

dominique said...

I'm sorry you are having a down day but I am glad you took care of yoruself.

Just thinking out loud here, but could you pay a neighbor to shovel for your, prehaps.

That is a major energy sucking activity.

I hope tomorrow is a better day.

Sue Jackson said...

Yes, Dominique - that's an excellent suggestion, of course. I think it's the old, "I don't want to be a bother..." Most of our neighbors are older empty-nesters, most about 20 years older than me. It's pretty ironic that they are all healthier and stronger than I am!

We have a wonderful neighbor across the street who often does do our driveway for us, without our even asking, just because he is so kind (and yes, he is in his 60's!), but for some reason he didn't this week (I'm sure he didn't realize Ken was out of town).

Anyway, I will ask for help next time, though I was curious to see if I could do it with the beta-blockers! (answer: yes, though possibly with a mild crash two days later).

Rachel said...

Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa (ninjiom-hk.cwahi.net) may be another choice. i know alot of people use it, its also non alcoholic, though it's effectiveness is not as good as alcohol based cough medicine, but it's still good to use on not so serious sore throat.