Monday, January 24, 2011

Movie Monday 1/24

Whoops...almost missed my Monday post again!  Very busy day, though I didn't anticipate that.  Jamie just had one mid-term today (his last), so I picked him up at 9:30 am and convinced him to come to the mall with me for both driving experience and a bookstore stop.  He deeply regretted saying "yes"!

Our first (and only) stop was the Apple store where I told him my Genius Bar appointment would only take 15 minutes.  We were there for 3 1/2 hours!!!  However, I am grateful to my assigned Genius, for his persistence in finally solving my bizarre problem.  I've been unable to upload photos to the internet for a few weeks now.  I won't bore you with the details, but he finally figured out there were a couple of corrupted files on my computer.  I'm back in business now!  Only problem is that one of the corrupted files was somewhere within iPhoto (the Mac's photo software), so he was able to save all my original photos (thank goodness), but I lost all editing I'd done to photos.  If you need me for the next six months, I'll be re-fixing red eyes on 10,000 photos!

Anyway, I'm sure you don't want to hear about my computer problems because it's Monday and that means movies!  We fit in a few this week:
  • In last week's overflowing summary, I forgot to include the DVD I watched Saturday night while Ken and the boys were snow tubing.  I enjoyed Ladies in Lavender, starring Judi Dench and Maggie Smith as two elderly sisters living in an English seaside village, sometime between the World Wars.  During a storm, a mysterious young man washes ashore next to their house.  They bring him in and end up nursing him back to health.  The twist?  The man doesn't speak English and can't tell them where he's from or what happened to him.  The ladies become very attached to him, though as he heals, it becomes clear he will eventually leave them.  It's a sweet and gentle story, with a few twists, made especially enjoyable by the excellent acting.
  • When Ken got home on Friday, we watched Ironman 2 with the boys.  You may recall we saw Ironman last weekend and everyone enjoyed it so much, they wanted to see the sequel right away (one advantage of being so far behind in seeing movies - no waiting for the sequel!)  Ironman 2 was just as entertaining as the first movie, with some good performances by Robert Downey Jr, Gweneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Mickey Rourke, and Scarlett Johansson.  Lots of fun!
  • Ken and I went out to dinner by ourselves Saturday night (gasp!  can't remember the last time) and left the boys with pizza and Clash of the Titans.  We only saw the last few minutes, but they said it was great.
  • Ken and I skipped movies this weekend because we are still making our way through the last season of Saving Grace, starring Holly Hunter.  There are 19 episodes, and we only had one week to watch them (couldn't renew because there's a waiting list), so we've been cramming them in.  Actually, it's overdue now, but we still have it (we're so bad) - just 4 more episodes to go!  It's an excellent TV show about a free spirit Oklahoma City police detective (Hunter) who has a real-life guardian angel named Earl.  It's a mix of police drama and spirituality, and Hunter is amazing in it.
Have you seen any good movies lately?

4 comments:

Renee said...

Joel and I watched the movie, Ladies In Lavender before...it was good. Love teh Engish coastlines...I like several movies just for the views they give us :)...
No movies on this end. Lots of resting and mostly short shows...We have enjoyed Harry's Law on NBC...its on tonight. Funny show~

Sue Jackson said...

That show looks good, Renee - I like Kathy Bates.

Baffled said...

I'll have to get Ladies in Lavender if I can remember to look later.

I saw several movies that I liked this week and revisited a couple more.

Hubby and I watched Ironman 1. We both like that one. I haven't seen 2 yet. Hubby saw it in the cinema just after I first got sick. He likes the first one best.

I saw Two Weeks Notice again. Cute Sandra Bullock movie. Hum, maybe I saw that last week. Memory is shot.

I watched the English version of Death at a Funeral which I liked. Lots of dry British humor in it and Mathew Macfadden (Pride and Prejudice) and the pilot from Firefly were in it. Your basic farce movie where everything that could go wrong at a funeral does go wrong. Very entertaining.

Blades of Glory. Campy figure skating movie. They make fun of figure skating and figure skating movies. Fun in a Will Ferrell sort of way.

Hubby and I got addicted to the new comic book hero show The Cape. We watched all the episodes on Hulu so we could catch up to this week. Decent show. Very odd which is why we like it.

Sue Jackson said...

I love the British version of Death at a Funeral - hilarious!!

That's one of those examples where I think it was ridiculous of Hollywood to remake it - the original was just right...and in English!

I've been hearing great things about The Cape, too.

Sue