Sunday, September 09, 2018

Weekly Inspiration: Who Are You, Really?

I've been thinking a lot lately about introverts vs. extroverts because I feel like chronic illness has changed me into an introvert. I've noticed lately that even though I feel better, crash less, and can do a lot more than in the early days of my illness, I still need plenty of quiet solitude. In fact, I'm working on a new article for ProHealth on this topic.

I found this TED Talk on a playlist called "For the Love of Introverts," and while the speaker, Brian Little, talks about introverts and extroverts, the talk covers a lot more than that. It's all about how to define who you are, using different kinds of criteria (introvert vs. extrovert is just one). In fact, one thing he talks about is how circumstances can change aspects of your personality...again, right along the lines of what I have been thinking about myself lately. Oh, and Brain is an excellent speaker and quite funny, too. Here's his TED Talk:



What do you think about Brian's system for defining who we are? I especially liked his last category of Idiosyncratic, to take into account our individual projects & interests and how circumstances can affect us. And, I did learn more about introverts and extroverts - watch for more on that subject as I finish my article. I'll share it with you when it's published. I think it is very important to know ourselves and understand our needs, especially when living a life defined in part by chronic illness.

Food for thought, right?

No comments: