Friday, February 06, 2015

Getting Back to "Normal"

Well, not real normal, but we are getting back to our own version of normal!

I explained last week that we now know our college son's 2-month long couch-bound relapse was "just" an ME/CFS-type crash, probably triggered by the flu in November. Well, in the last week, we saw him come back to life! Each day, he seemed more alert, was sitting up more, and seeming more like himself. He was finally able to get back to some schoolwork, and as the week went on, he began to smile and talk more and even laugh. We knew things were moving in the right direction when he began teasing his younger brother again! It was such a relief to see him return to his old self.

On Tuesday, he moved back to his college apartment, thrilled to be back with his friends. He's spent this week studying and making up tests and final exams that he missed at the end of fall semester. He will be ready to start the spring semester on Monday, with his peers. What a relief! There were plenty of times this past month when we wondered if he'd have to take a semester off.

As usual, he is signed up for just 3 classes, but he manages them pretty well and enjoys living on his own with his friends. I know he is thrilled to be back to his own version of normal, too.

Of course, I am still worried about him! I know he won't be able to stick to his diet on his own as well as he did while home, and any sugar or grains can have a fairly immediate negative impact. He's also jumping back into his social life, with plans to go to the movies with friends tonight and go snowboarding (!!) tomorrow. But he is 20, and I need to let him live his own life and maybe make his own mistakes. It's hard to let go when your child has been through so much suffering.

Here at home, I am free! I thoroughly enjoyed getting back to my own routines this week, embracing the quiet solitude in the house, resuming a more regular exercise routine, and having more time for writing. I have been catching up on my favorite TV shows at lunchtime, the ones the males in my house don't want to see, and my husband and I have been catching up on our own favorite shows in the evening (our high school son has his own busy social life).

So, life is returning to normal for us, and we are grateful.

1 comment:

upnorth said...

Glad Jamie is well enough to go back, I can't imagine how hard it must be when young and wanting to be participating in college life.