Thursday, February 16, 2023

Throwback Thursday: 17 Years of Blogging!


Seventeen years ago today, two wonderful things happened: my amazing nephew was born and I started this chronic illness blog! Back then, ME/CFS was often known as CFIDS (chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome), in an effort by patients, experts, and advocates to bring some legitimacy to our much-maligned disease and more accuracy to its name.

You can read my very first blog post, Our Approach to Living with Chronic Illness, at the link. It's interesting to me to see that my overall philosophies have not changed: a balance of acceptance and hope, finding small joys in everyday life, staying within our limits, plus finding treatments that help. You can even see the origin of the title of my book, Finding a New Normal: Living Your Best Life with Chronic Illness in this post!

I started the blog as a sort of online journal (you can also see the precursor to this blog on my original LiveJournal account!). I didn't expect much, but I wanted to share our story and hopefully connect with a few other patients. I was quickly stunned by the outpouring of support from patients around the world who shared so many of our experiences in their own lives. 

It was the start of what turned into a huge effort to provide support to others (while also supporting myself and my family) that now includes multiple support groups, both locally and globally, online; a YouTube channel; and interaction with others patients on social media platforms and beyond.

All of this has greatly improved my life in so many ways. This illness can be so lonely and isolating, and it's been magnificent to connect with so many people all over the world.

Where were YOU 17 years ago today?

No comments: