Monday, October 25, 2010

Movie Monday 10/25

Another week gone by!  Last week was a rough one for us, as you well know if you read this blog regularly.  I was crashed, and Jamie, my 16-year old son, was also crashed badly most of the week.  He went back to school on Friday for a partial day and was able to enjoy some of the weekend, but he was back on the couch today.  I think it is, at least in part, a herx reaction to his latest bartonella treatment.  That's good news, but it doesn't make it any easier to get through.

We did enjoy the weekend, though.  My mom and her husband came to visit.  On Sunday, all the guys went to Baltimore for the Ravens-Bills game, while my mom and I took the train to NYC to see a Broadway show.  We also enjoyed a wonderful meal in a Spanish tapas restaurant.  It was a great day, and I handled it remarkably well, thanks to a long nap curled up across two seats on the train (sometimes it's good to be so short!).  It was a gorgeous day in New York.  Here's a photo I took in Times Square (sorry it's not very sharp - my camera phone is first-generation - it has an antenna that pulls out!)

So, with all those sick days last week, Jamie and I watched a lot of movies.  I showed him a bunch of old favorite comedies to cheer him up:
  • We kicked off the Sick Week Marathon with my favorite laugh-a-minute movie: Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  Steve Martin and especially John Candy are just hilarious.  Jamie loved it, especially the scene when the cop stops the burned out car (my favorite scene, too!)..."It may not look like much, but it gets me where I want to go."
  • The next day, we watched My Cousin Vinny, another favorite of mine.  Lots of good laughs in that one, too.  Marisa Tomei and Joe Pesci are fabulous in it.  I love the line about the "two youts..."
  • On Thursday, we watched Tootsie - Dustin Hoffman is so good in it.  Jamie enjoyed that one, too.
  • No time for movies this weekend, but my mom and I saw Next to Normal on Broadway, a stunningly good show.  It's a musical about a family torn apart by the wife/mother's bipolar disorder and depression.  I know...it sounds like a horrible paradox, right?  A musical about mental illness?  But it was so good, with amazing music (it won the Tony award for best musical score) and great acting.  The story itself would make a good movie (the screenplay won the 2010 Pulitzer Prize), but seeing it acted out live a few feet in front of us was just incredible and emotionally powerful.
Have you seen any good movies lately?

2 comments:

Never That Easy said...

"Those aren't pillows!"

;)

Glad to hear things are going well!

Anonymous said...

New York, how exciting!

Hope everyone is well this week.

D.