Sunday, October 03, 2010

Report on Supplement Safety

Sorry I haven't been online much lately.  We've had a very busy weekend, plus I really haven't been feeling well - not horrible but not good either.

I just thought I'd share a report I heard on NPR last week, about a recent Consumer Reports test and report on supplements.  Since many of us with CFS take nutritional supplements - vitamins, herbals, etc. - I thought this would be of interest.  We certainly take a lot of them here!

Here's the full article from Consumer Reports.  Within that article, they've included this list of 12 dangerous ingredients in supplements that are either often contaminated or can have serious side effects, based on their review of hundreds of clinical research and reports.  Nothing that I take is on this list, but I thought it might be helpful to others.

The article also includes a list of eleven supplements that are not only safe but also have extensive research behind them to prove they are effective.   The chart also includes potential side effects and interactions with other medications for each supplement.  I found this page particularly helpful.

Another day, when I have more energy, I'll list the supplements I've found helpful.  Hope you've enjoyed a nice, relaxing weekend.

5 comments:

Toni said...

Very helpful post, Sue. I looked at both articles. Thanks as always.

Dusty Bogwrangler said...

Thanks Sue, I shall follow this up.

Dusty Bogwrangler said...

Just to say, if people take fish oil and a multivitamin, take care not to overdose on Vitamin A. Take a fish oil supplement that does not have it added.

GlasgowChris78 said...

Sue- You commented on my last post that I should try to increase my salt intake. Please, what are the best ways to do this without abandoning a healthy diet?

I look forward to your advice on the best supplements.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info Sue... sorry you aren't doing as well.

Chris78, I just put sea salt in water and drink it, though not on an empty stomach. Have some white rice or another bland carbohydrate with it.

D.