Saturday, November 06, 2010

Quote It Saturday 11/6

It's been awhile since I've posted a Quote It Saturday.  We've had a crazy busy fall!  Today was Jamie's last soccer game - now the season is officially over for both boys.  It still feels like a miracle to me every time I see Jamie run down the soccer field - thank goodness for Florinef!  He's not always well enough to play, but when he does, he really moves - he's easily the fastest player on the team.

And we just dropped Ken off at the airport - he's headed to Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands...we're going to miss him!  So, I have a tiny pocket of quiet time (well, not exactly quiet - Jamie has two friends over - but here's nothing urgent to do) and wanted to revive Quote it Saturday. 

This week's quote one isn't from a book (well, I guess it was at some point).  It's the poem from which the movie Invictus (more on that Monday) takes its name, the poem that kept Nelson Mandela going while he was in prison for 26 years.  It really resonated with me regarding living with chronic illness, which is a sort of prison sometimes, isn't it?

Hope you like it as much as I did:


William Ernest Henley. 1849–1903
 
Invictus
 
OUT of the night that covers me, 
  Black as the Pit from pole to pole, 
I thank whatever gods may be 
  For my unconquerable soul. 
  
In the fell clutch of circumstance         5
  I have not winced nor cried aloud. 
Under the bludgeonings of chance 
  My head is bloody, but unbowed. 
  
Beyond this place of wrath and tears 
  Looms but the Horror of the shade,  10
And yet the menace of the years 
  Finds, and shall find, me unafraid. 
  
It matters not how strait the gate, 
  How charged with punishments the scroll, 
I am the master of my fate:  15
  I am the captain of my soul.




 

 

 

 






































3 comments:

dominique said...

I have one to share with you. I read it and thought, that is so talking about ME/CFS! Here it is...

"Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow" Melody Beattie

Is that not great!

I like yours too! ki

Sue Jackson said...

I love it, Dominique! I'm a big fan of gratitude.

Sue

Laurel said...

Love this poem! Thanks for posting and reminding me of it, Sue.