Thursday, July 27, 2006

What Happened?

So much for my little pep talk yesterday about being flexible and going with the flow. Anytime you have the audacity to think you've figured CFIDS out, it pulls the rug out from under you again to remind you who's really in charge.

Ken and I did enjoy a nice dinner at our favorite local brew pub. The food was delicious, and I even had a tiny 2 oz. sample-sized pale ale to satisfy my love of microbrews. We were driving to the bookstore after dinner, to shop for our son's upcoming 12th birthday, when I was suddenly overcome by severe abdominal cramps. Within 30 minutes, I went from feeling fine to feeling horrible, knowing I had to get home NOW.

Despite the fact that I'm in the middle of a 90-day pack of birth control pills, my body was rebelling with painful cramping and bleeding. This has never happened to me before - another first for this crazy disease that wreaks havoc with your hormones, as well as all your other bodily systems. I drove home as quickly as I could and collapsed onto the couch, exhausted and achy.

I slept for 10 hours last night but woke up feeling completely exhausted. My limbs felt like they were filled with wet cement, and I couldn't seem to keep my eyelids open. I finally gave up and burrowed back into my pillow, unable to sleep anymore but also unable to get up. A t-shirt logo kept running through my head: "Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints." I've always found it amusing before, but today it just felt accurate.

I did eventually get out of bed, and breakfast helped a little, but I felt as if I'd been awake for 2 days, instead of 2 hours. I gave into the exhaustion and gave up my plans for the day - what else can you do?

I felt much better after my nap and even managed to grab a few things at the grocery store (although an unexpected wait at the seafood counter almost did me in again). Whew.

I have no idea what could have sparked this peculiar crash. In fact, yesterday was the most restful, stress-free day I'd had in months!


Anonymous said...

Could it have been the alcohol, even that small amount? So many PWCs have trouble with tolerating alcohol. My other theory is what you ate. I frequently have sudden, must get home now, crashes after eating out. I don't know if it's b/c restaurants cook with more fat, or there is some kind of additive in the food, no idea. But I have felt your pain. And all you can do is rest and wait for it to pass.

Ciara said...

Hi Sue,

this is what drive me nuts about ME/CFS - sometimes the relapses come only after you slow down. I also had a severe relapse in 1998 and it came after my best few months ever. I was doing more, yes, but I was actually *feeling* less ill too. It can be so random. So baffling. Hope you feel better soon.


Zona said...

Flexibility? I guess I'm flexible, to a point. But resting enough? Hard to do with kids around...even bigger ones :)