Friday, November 03, 2023

Virginia Vacation Vlog: Fabulous Fall Foliage!


I haven't posted on the blog in a while because we were on vacation last week (and I've been catching up this week - I still have 200 more unread e-mails to go!). We drove down to Virginia with our camper and spent a very relaxing week at two wonderful state parks, surrounded by stunning natural beauty!

I often mention here on the blog how healthy it is to spend time outdoors, and scientific research bears that out. In my book, I included a chapter, The Restorative Power of Nature, that details the scientific evidence that time spent in nature has measurable positive effects on both mental and physical health. That chapter also includes tips on how to bring nature's benefits into your own life, no matter how restricted you are; studies show that even looking at pictures of nature provide benefits. You can read an earlier version of that chapter/article here on the blog

So, with that in mind, I am sharing with you a Vacation Vlog I put together, with loads of videos and photos from our camping trip last week. My recommendation is to watch it on a larger screen, like a tablet or laptop, expand the view to Full Screen, and turn up the volume so you can hear the sounds of nature, too. That way, you, too, can benefit from the wonderful natural beauty we were immersed in last week, including brilliantly colorful fall foliage, peaceful lakes reflecting those vibrant colors, and even some wildlife. 

You can watch the video on YouTube or here below:

 

You will see that I was mildly active on this trip, taking short, easy hikes and kayaking with my husband. It is much easier for me to do those things when we're on vacation because there is no stress, no responsibilities, and no obligations! We typically do one mildly active thing after breakfast (if I am up to it), and the rest of the day is very restful and quiet. It is also only possible for me to do these things because I have treated Orthostatic Intolerance (OI), which is a huge contributor to the exertion intolerance of ME/CFS and long-COVID. I also mention in the video that I use a heart rate monitor to stay within my limits.

I hope you enjoyed that mini vacation!

How do YOU enjoy nature within your limitations?

Let me know in the comments below.

You can also connect with me on Facebook and Twitter/X.

No comments: