Monday, January 18, 2010

The End of the Marathon

Sorry, no Movie Monday today - we didn't have any time for movies last week!

We have finally reached the end of our holiday/family marathon! We had two sets of grandparents visiting last week, Craig's 12th birthday, and last night, a sleep-over party with 8 wild boys! I made a quadruple batch of pancakes this morning (12-year old boys eat a LOT!) and by noon, all the boys had been picked up by their parents. Craig was up past 2 am and is exhausted, though he did manage a 2-hour nap, so I hope he recovers in time for school tomorrow. Jamie wisely left the sleep-over at 11 pm and went up to his own bed - he has mid-term exams all this week.

Now it's just the three of us, resting and watching Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (one of Craig's birthday presents). I know Ken will also feel hugely relieved when he gets home from work today.

Now we have weeks with nothing unusual on the calendar, and the four of us can return for awhile to our boring, wonderful routines. We really need this period of quiet recuperation. I hope to gradually - very gradually - regain some of the stamina I've lost. Today is my January 1, the start of my new year, though I'm not thinking yet about goals or anything like that. Just rest.

Oh, I also didn't have time to post a quote here on Saturday, though I did post a couple of quotes on my book blog that I think relate well to living with chronic illness, or any major life changes.

Happy New Year!

8 comments:

Pamela said...

Rest up! I think that's the perfect goal for the new year :)

Toni said...

Happy New Year, Sue!

Dusty Bogwrangler said...

I second that! And that's a great idea Sue, I'm going to start my year again. Today is Jan 1st.

Lori P said...

Activities and company are fun, but there's nothing like returning to the quiet "boring" lifestyle!!! Glad to hear you've made it through the madness.
Rest up and feel well. Hope everyone made it to school on Monday (or Tuesday).

Pris said...

Company is so tiring, even when you love them. Glad you can rest now!

Dominique said...

I am exhausted just reading about everything you had going on! Wow! I'm glad you have some downtown time now. It is sad that we always pay for doing what others consider normal, but that is unfortunately how it is. So here's to your stamina bouncing back! Cheers!

Lala said...

Ladies, looking at your pictures with kids I really want to ask if any of you had a child after being diagnosed. I do not have any and I can not imagine doing that with CFS, but I can not also imagine my life without one...
Thank you

Sue Jackson said...

Lala -

I got CFS 8 years ago when I was 37, and I already had my two sons. My youngest was 4. I can't imagine going through the exhaustion of a new infant when you have CFS, but I know some women have done it! It does bother me sometimes, though, that my youngest doesn't remember a life before CFS affected us - he doesn't remember the mom that used to play soccer with him in the yard or the trips to Disney World, etc. Then again, he does say he remembers when he and I used to dance like crazy in the basement together to the Tarzan soundtrack, so that's good :-)

Sue