Saturday, January 23, 2010

Quote It Saturday 1/23


Ah, Saturday. We're all alone at home (well-except for the four friends the boys have over!) with no major events. We finally managed to take down our Christmas lights, decorations, and tree today. Now all that's left are the pine needles - I don't think there was a single needle left on the tree!

Time for Quote It Saturday. Today, I chose a couple of old favorite quotes from Mr. Rogers. Yes, THAT Mr. Rogers, of the sneakers and zip-up cardigan. I loved his TV show when I was a kid, and so did Craig, but today's quotes are from a book he wrote for grown-ups, The World According to Mr. Rogers, which I read years ago and found surprisingly insightful. I thought these two quotes reflected the internal struggles I've been going through recently:

One of the strongest things we have to wrestle with in our lives is the significance of the longing for perfection in ourselves and in the people bound to us by friendship or parenthood or childhood.

That is certainly one of the things I struggle with daily! Perfection is particularly damaging when you're living with the limitations and confines of chronic illness.

How great it is when we come to know that times of disappointment can be followed by times of fulfillment; that sorrow can be followed by joy; that guilt over falling short of our ideals can be replaced by pride in doing all that we can; and that anger can be channeled into creative achievements...and into dreams that we can make come true!

- The World According to Mr. Rogers by Fred Rogers

Just what I needed to hear this week! Wasn't he a great guy?

Hope you're enjoying the weekend. I should probably go help with the needle clean-up...

Oh, and if you like to read, check out my list of Top Ten Books I Read in 2009.

"Tomorrow, tomorrow, we'll start the day tomorrow with a song or two. Till then I hope you're feeling happy. Till then I hope you're feeling snappy..." (too bad you can't hear me singing)

5 comments:

Renee said...

Oh, I loved Mr. Rogers! I bought that book for our 38 yr old son as he watched Mr. Rogers every day after kindegarten while he ate his bologny sandwhich on white bread...(It was a long time ago!) Your thoughts on Mr. Rogers and his quotes made me smile and I needed that today.

Toni said...

We were a Mr. Rogers family here too! I can hear his gentle, loving voice right now. I feel like he helped me raise my kid! I had no idea he'd written a book for adults but I'm not surprised that it contained such gems as you quote, Sue. Thanks for your inspirational Saturday words.

Dominique said...

I have to admit, I like Mr. Rogers as well. What a great show that was. Great quotes and both quite applicable to our struggle!

Have a blessed weekend...what's left of it.

Pris said...

I love these quotes, too.

Dusty Bogwrangler said...

Yes, quotes that chimed with me too.

You'll be picking those needles out of your socks till November.