I thought I'd try to resurrect my Saturday routine of posting a book quote. Since I'm in such a good mood, I was looking for something happy and uplifting today. Today's quote is a partial excerpt from one of my favorite books of 2009, The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca Wells (my review of the audio book). If you're looking for a book to lose yourself in, that will make you laugh out loud and cry your eyes out, this is a great one!
Here's one of my favorite quotes from the book, a list that Calla Lily's mother, M'Dear, wrote that hung on the refrigerator of their home in the little town of La Luna, Louisiana. In the book, La Luna is both the name of the town and the name of the river, and Calla's mother also refers to La Luna, the Moon Lady, who watches over her. I've abridged this list a bit so as to not give away any spoilers:
The Rules of Life According to M'Dear:
- The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca Wells
- Sleep with the windows open (window screens are fine, when necessary).
- Whistle in the dark. Calla Lily, your attempt at whistling is good enough.
- Good enough is good enough. Perfect will make you a big fat mess every time.
- Sing anytime you feel like it, and even more when you don't feel like it. Sonny Boy, this does not mean in math class, although you have my permission to sing in all other classes. Will, all your silent singing is good, and also try to sing out loud at least once a day.
- Let love slip underneath closed doors, through tiny cracks in the walls, through your pores.
- MOST IMPORTANT: KEEP ON DANCING. Dance while you're brushing your teeth, dance while the sun shines, dance under the moon...Remember, La Luna waits for us to dance in her light, so dance in the streets. When life is happy, dance in the kitchen, and when life is roughest, dance in the kitchen...
Lots of good advice, don't you think? I especially like "Perfect will make you a big, fat mess every time." I love the Live Your Life To the Fullest attitude embodied in this novel.
Hope you're enjoying a nice weekend!