Monday, November 16, 2009

Movie Monday 11/16

I decided to start a new weekly feature: Movie Mondays! Ken and I almost always watch DVDs on Friday and Saturday nights, and I thought it might be fun to share my thoughts on the movies we've watched. I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations, too!

We really enjoy our movie nights on the weekends. Not only is it far cheaper (free, most of the time, since I borrow DVDs from the library) than going to the theater, but I can lie on the couch - and Ken in his beloved recliner - sip my tea, and just press pause whenever I need a bathroom break or a snack! Plus, it's something we can enjoy together no matter how sick I am.

So, this weekend, we watched:
  • Mamma Mia! I requested the movie version as soon as I got home from seeing the live show on Broadway because I enjoyed it so much. Of course, the DVD couldn't quite compare with seeing it live, but it was still a lot of fun. Ken and I thought the lead roles were sort of odd choices - Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan for singing roles - but it was enjoyable. I might even consider buying this one (a rarity for me) because I think it would be a good pick-me-up/feel-good movie to watch when I'm feeling bad. You just can't help but sing along and smile!
  • Slumdog Millionaire We just might be the last people in the universe to see this movie, but it was well worth the wait. Wow. What an amazing and powerful story of an orphan from the slums becoming an overnight millionaire and national hero. The conditions he and his brother and friend lived in and the things they endured as children were sometimes hard to watch, but it is the ultimate rags to riches story. The scenes of the slums of Mumbai at the beginning reminded me of a wonderful novel I read, The Space Between Us, about two women in India, a middle-class woman and her servant.
Have you seen any good movies lately?

13 comments:

Lori P said...

Well Sue, you aren't the only one. In fact you're at least one step ahead of me. I haven't seen either movie. Did your husband sit and watch Mama Mia with you??? Wow. Hat's off if he did. I could never get my husband to watch it.

Sue Jackson said...

Yup, Ken watched Mamma Kia with me! I usually watch the more girly stuff when he's away (last weekend I watched Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day and The Secret Life of Bees), but I really wanted to share this one with him. Not his favorite sort of thing, but he enjoyed it. When we lived in New Orleans, we used to get season tickets to the Broadway series at the local theater, so he's seen plenty of musicals!

Sue

Renee said...

Hi Sue
I have not seen either movie but want to! Joel watches "chick flicks" with me too...thankful he enjoys most of them!
Glad you are giving us reviews..

Toni said...

DVD Mondays is a great idea, Sue! Once in a while my husband (also a Tony -- but with a "y") watches "chick flicks" with me, but usually I spare him the pain. (In return, he works out to action flicks so I don't have to watch them!)

I watched Juno this weekend (without Tony) and really enjoyed it. It's very quirky -- quirky writing and quirky characters. I especially enjoyed the people who played Juno's parents (her step mother is played by Allison Janey who was on West Wing -- she's a completely different character here, that's for sure).

Dusty Bogwrangler said...

What a great idea! No, I've not seen either either. Not often you get the chance to say either either, either.

Sue Jackson said...

We both loved Juno, Toni! And speaking of quirky, I really like the soundtrack from Juno. I listen to it all the time!

Sue

Knittah said...

I just watched Paradise Road last night, and was very pleasantly surprised. Not great for young ones because there is some violence, but an excellent movie.

Sue Jackson said...

I just looked up Paradise Road - it looks good! I'll add it to my list of movies to see - thanks!

me/cfs warrior said...

What a great idea! I love getting new ideas about movies (and books). I haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire either but after reading your review I plan on getting it from Netflix.

I saw the play Mama Mia in SF prior to getting sick and really enjoyed it.

Never That Easy said...

I have Slumdog on my DVR, but I want to be in a good frame of mind (I've ruined more than one good movie by going into it feeling like crap)... I'm glad you liked it. SuperTrooper is one of Lil Girl's favorite songs, btw...

I also want to say how much I appreciate your comments, and your commitment to commenting - even if you've missed days, you go back and say something when you can: I really, really appreciate it. That you take the time to respond so thoughtfully, well it's one of the best parts of my day, just so you know.

Hope your week is going well!

Sue Jackson said...

yes, better to wait until you have a good day to watch Slumdog - it is pretty intense.

Thanks for your kind words! Reading comments is one of my favorite parts of the day, too, as well as leaving comments. This blogging community is so important to all of us!!

Sue

Kerry said...

Great idea Sue--movie Mondays. My husband and I also watch movies both Friday and Saturday nights. We use netflix and usually have two or three movies flowing in and out each week.

Last weekend watched the documentary "Trouble the Water"--it is made up of footage taken by a Hurrican Katrina survivor who lived in the ninth ward, couldn't afford to evacuate and had no means of transportation. She films straight from the morning before the Hurricane hits, when it hits, when the levi breaks,while she, her husband and eventually the neighbors are in the attic then on the roof and as they journey through the waters looking for help and shelter. Then the documentary crew takes over with the adventures that follow. Amazing.

Sue Jackson said...

Wow, Kerry, that sounds amazing. we don't often watch documentaries, but we used to live in New Orleans - I think we need to see this one!

Thanks for the recommendation!

Sue