Tuesday, March 03, 2015

2015 Health-Related Goals

Oh, it's March already? Well, I was a little late this year in setting my annual goals since my son was home crashed all January and now I am even later in posting about it, but you know my motto - better late than never!

Instead of resolutions at the start of a new year, I set goals with measurable objectives. The big goals stay pretty much the same from year to year, but the objectives shift and change depending on how things went the previous year, what I want to accomplish in the new year, and my priorities. I used to set annual goals and then forget about them until December (when I'd be disappointed!), but I find that focusing on measurable objectives and tracking them every week helps to keep me on track - I get more done, I feel better about myself, and by the end of the year, I feel I have made progress. In case you missed it, check out my post on my progress & improvements in 2014 (relevant to my health).

I have 6 big-picture goals that never change:
  1. To have strong, fulfilling relationships with family & friends
  2. To be a writer, writing what I enjoy, and contributing to my family's income
  3. To spend time outdoors with friends & family, doing activities that I enjoy
  4. To create and maintain a comfortable, happy, nurturing home environment
  5. To be healthy
  6. To be financially stable enough to take care of our family and reach our long-term goals
So, in this post, I will focus mainly on my objectives for 2015 for Goal #5, though other objectives also contribute to my health, like spending time outdoors, having healthy relationships, etc.

Some of my 2015 Objectives, specifically related to my health:
  • Do 4 fun things for myself each week (I tend to focus on others so this helps me remember to do something for myself, too)
  • Get together with friends once a week
  • Go outdoors at least 10 minutes a day (helps my state of mind SO much!)
  • Go camping at least 2 times in addition to vacations
  • Try new treatments (we tried 9 new things last year)
  • Walk at least 3 times a week
  • Do gentle yoga stretches at least 5 times a week, for at least 5 minutes
  • Do muscle strengthening at least 3 times a week (this is usually about 10 min, lying on the floor to keep my heart rate down)
  • Meditate at least 10 minutes a day
  • No computer after 7 pm
  • Rest when symptoms flare (a tough one for me!)
  • Take one day "off" per month, with no obligations or to-do's 
I did very well on my health-related goals last year, so I have high hopes to continue improving this year. I'm off to a rough start, dealing with a bad thrush/yeast overgrowth flare-up again right now, but even when I am crashed I can do things to help myself, like meditation and forcing myself to rest!

I know I tend to be very analytical and most people probably don't get this detailed in their goals, but do you have any health-related goals for yourself for this year?

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I loved reading your goals and I get why you are so detailed with them. I know a long illness is a struggle in families. Take care!

Tanya @ Moms Small Victories said...

Great gooals. Glad to see more time writing, being outside and doing what you enjoy.