Thursday, August 05, 2010

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

(with thanks to author Judith Viorst)

To give you an idea of what my week has been like, today was the most relaxing day I've had so far and I spent it driving back and forth along the New Jersey Turnpike, visiting the Lyme doctor, and going to Target.  Seriously, it was a nice break!

I won't bore you with all the details, but here's a brief recap:
  • Dishwasher broke.
  • Air conditioning broke - AGAIN - for the 5th time in 3 weeks.
  • I took Ken for his follow-up eye appointment, and the doctor did find a new retinal tear in his eye that the residents on call missed last week.  So, Ken needed another laser surgery, and we spent most of a day at the Eye Institute in Philly - scary and exhausting.
  • While in the waiting room at the eye hospital, Craig called to tell me my laptop, "had a funny, burning smell and then went black."  Not good, right?  Nope.  Turned out the CPU burned out.  It's gone, kaput.  We made another trip to the Apple store, and they think the hard drive might be OK, but they won't work on it since it's "vintage!"  Yup, 7 years old is vintage.  You may recall I have a brand-new laptop, but I hadn't transferred the data from the old one yet because I was waiting for a special cable to arrive in the mail.  It did - the same day the old computer fried!
So, I've not only been busy and stressed but have had limited access to computers, so no time at all for either reading or writing blogs.  We still need to remove the old hard drive and try to get some data off it - just what we needed, another project!  I have made some progress with the new laptop, though (this is its maiden blog post!)

Jamie and I are both herxing (i.e. symptoms worsening) now from our Lyme treatments, but we're managing OK.  We had a good visit with the doctor today.

Tomorrow my Dad and his wife come to visit for the weekend.  I guess I'll have to finally get to the grocery store, huh?  They're very easy-going guests, though, so that's good.

So, I just wanted to explain my absence.  Hopefully, things will return to normal next week - whatever normal is!!

6 comments:

Pamela said...

Oh, bless your heart - I hate those weeks. I pray that things get better for you!

Toni said...

Whoa. What a week. I'm glad that your dad and his wife are easy guests. You'll need that break in the action, Sue!

parenting ad absurdum said...

Oh, I'm sorry!! I'm sending you lots of good vibes. Target always makes me feel better too ;).

Anonymous said...

Seems like around here when one thing breaks, others follow quickly! BTW, when you get stuff transferred to your new computer, look into carbonite.com. I've used it for years and it's been a lifesaver when changing computers or when one croaks. Hope you have a good weekend and get some rest!

Renee said...

Your week has had enough stress in it for the whole year! So glad that Ken's eye is doing okay now, and that repairs are being made for the household appliances! Do they know what is causing his eyes to do this? I will be praying for you and Jamie..herxing is not fun.... Have a good weekend and take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

I remember Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad day.

That is a lot of things to happen all at once. Glad that Ken's vision will not be damaged!

The machines are all in league with each other, set to break down when it's least convenient.

I hope you can get your data back!

D.