Sunday, September 04, 2022

Weekly Inspiration: Having Fun Improves Health


I recently came across a TED Talk that really resonated with me, Why Having Fun Is the Secret to a Healthier Life by Catherine Price. You can watch it at the link or I will also include it here:

<div style="max-width:854px"><div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://embed.ted.com/talks/lang/en/catherine_price_why_having_fun_is_the_secret_to_a_healthier_life" width="854" height="480" style="position:absolute;left:0;top:0;width:100%;height:100%" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe></div></div>


This talk struck me because I really struggle with having fun! I know that sounds like a crazy thing to say, but it's true. One of my goals is to do two fun things each week (TV doesn't count) and two quiet things just for myself each week. And, yes, I am aware of the irony that I set goals to have fun!

I think that two things get in my way. First, I tend to get too focused on being productive and getting things done. Since my time/energy is so limited each day, just doing the maintenance stuff around the house and the work (writing, blogging, videos, etc.) I want to do uses up all of that limited energy. That's why I set the goals - to remind myself that fun also needs to be built into my weekly plans.

The other problem is, of course, that SO many things I would find fun are just not available to me anymore with chronic illness. Before I got sick, I was very active and loved outdoor activities. I think if I hadn't gotten sick, I would have started playing adult soccer (my sons loved soccer, so we all got interested in it) or maybe joined my friend in her new pickleball passion. I know I would be hiking every week, taking longer hikes with my husband and my friends, kayaking more often, and maybe even still backpacking--all things I used to love. Play just seems easier when you can do sports and activities. Even sitting up to play a board game (especially in the evening) is sometimes too much for me.

So, what can I do to have fun? It shouldn't surprise you that I have a tab in my Goals spreadsheet called Fun Things! Here's some of what I wrote there:

With Friends:

  • Talk on phone
  • Meet for a meal out 
  • Walk or hike
  • Kayak
  • Book group
  • Play games
  • Watch a movie in theater or at home

 With My Husband: 

All the same stuff as with friends, plus:

  • Jigsaw puzzle
  • Play cards or games (though he claims to hate games!)
  • Meet with friends
  • Have friends over
  • Go camping
  • Travel

On My Own:

  • Read (other than nap or bedtime, when I read every day)
  • Play a game
  • Watch TV or a movie (other than our usual time from 7:30 -9:30)
  • Coloring
  • Watch videos
  • Read magazines
  • Walk or hike

I know that I desperately need more time with friends. My health has been very up and down the past few years (and is currently pretty bad), which makes it almost impossible to plan anything. I haven't seen my closest friends in months, though I did finally spend some time talking on the phone to one friend this week, which was wonderful. My book group will be starting up again this month, so I'm looking forward to that, although I had to cancel roughly ever other time last season. 

This video has inspired me to try to add more fun to my life!

How do YOU have fun, within your restricted life?

<div style="max-width:854px"><div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://embed.ted.com/talks/lang/en/catherine_price_why_having_fun_is_the_secret_to_a_healthier_life" width="854" height="480" style="position:absolute;left:0;top:0;width:100%;height:100%" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe></div></div>

No comments: