Friday, January 19, 2024

Favorite TV Shows Watched in 2023


It's time for my annual wrap-up of my favorite TV shows reviewed in the past year! These are not necessarily new shows, but they are shows that we enjoyed last year, enough that I took the time to write a review. They run the gamut, covering all kinds of genres, so there's something for everyone.

Listed down at the bottom of this post are all of the shows that I reviewed here on my blog in 2023. I have also added all of these to my TV Reviews tab on the blog, so you can come back anytime to see ALL of the shows I have ever reviewed (note that where to find shows may have changed over the years). And check out my 2022 TV Favorites, too - they're all still available.

I only review shows I like, so anything listed here or on the TV Reviews tab is worth trying. 

 

Best of TV   

First a few superlatives--my favorite shows reviewed last year in each genre, plus some categories I made up! Links are to my reviews, including trailers and details on where to find each show (subject to change).

 

Best Drama

And Just Like That ... (HBO Max)

I never watched Sex and the City but enjoyed this reboot about women in their 50's (a rarity on TV!) 


 

Best Dramedy (both comedy and drama)

Somebody Somewhere (HBO Max)

My husband and I loved this warm, funny, wonderfully written show.



Best Crime/Mystery/Thriller

Will Trent (ABC)

 Our new favorite crime show, with great characters and a sense of humor. Returning February 20!


Best Sci Fi 

Silo (Apple)
An excellent adaptation of the Silo book trilogy that starts with Wool, a favorite of both of us.
 



Best TV Show That Crosses Genres
 
The Diplomat (Netflix) 
One of our top shows of the entire year, this absolutely hilarious drama starring Keri Russell, about a no-nonsense woman appointed as new US ambassador to the UK when a crisis happens is also suspenseful, with political intrigue, plus the drama of a marriage breaking up.
 




Best Character on a New Show

Poker Face (Peacock)
Natasha Lyonne is fabulous as Charlie, a woman on the run, crossing America, who can tell when people are lying and solves mysteries along the way. Drama, mystery, and lots of laughs. We can't wait for season 2! 





Best Drama Musical
 
I felt this wonderful adaptation of the best-selling novel deserved a mention for its unique combination of drama plus a fabulous fictional rock band you will believe is real.
 

 


Funniest Show With a Potentially Depressing Premise
or
Best TV Role by a Movie Actor

Shrinking (Apple)
 This deserves a mention because it's about grief but is laugh-out-loud funny, starring TV star Jason Segel and the great Harrison Ford (who is surprisingly funny). Another one we are waiting for season 2!



All TV Shows Reviewed in 2023

These were all great! Good enough that I took the time to write a review. Click the links to read my short review (never any spoilers), watch the trailer, and see where they were available when I reviewed them (subject to change). I indicate below where the show originated, though most shows are now available from many services.

Drama

And Just Like That ... (HBO Max)

Daisy Jones and the Six (Amazon Prime)

 

Dramedy (both comedy and drama) 

The Diplomat (Netflix)

Shrinking (Apple)

Somebody Somewhere (HBO Max)

Togetherness (HBO Max)


Crime/Mystery/Thriller

The Company You Keep (ABC)

The Lincoln Lawyer (Netflix)

Poker Face (Peacock)

Who Is Erin Carter? (Netflix)

Will Trent (ABC)

 

Sci Fi 

Silo (Apple) 

 

What were YOUR favorite TV shows watched last year? 

Please leave a comment below.

You can also connect with me on Facebook and Twitter.

 

No comments: